Saturday 18 February 2017

Brief 04 | York Arts Market - Research 01

A few of my friends currently run there own art stalls across manchester, leeds and sheffield. Asking them there opinions on stalls including pricing and how they make theres stand out from the rest will begin to give me a idea and direction of what to produce and costings.

Monique Flemming - 2 girls 1 collective



- Prints and zines. aimed towards anyone but more people our age buy it because its fun and not to serious. cheeky and funny stuff.
- Sells A3 prints print a3 for £6 -£8 depending on the detail, however make them for £1.50 so make a little profit. If its screen printed £10+ people are more inclined to buy screen prints because hand made.
- To make my stall stand out we use pink throws, pink glitter, arrange the prints nicely with stands, best work at the front and it engages more customers.
- Usually spend 5 hours holding a stall, and we try to have them every other month.
- Lost money the first stall a lot of spending on the first prints. so its important to keep producing when you've not got a stall planned because one could pop up!
- Would like to make more ceramic like things and household objects, something different and theres a market for that kind of stuff.

Lucy Wiliams - Imprint


"- So i produce prints and gather other peoples work to create exposure for other artists.
I like contextualising the printwork on top of an object I want to progress by having things in the home eg like a coaster or just having a collection of prints on other objects as a collection would be quite nice, to vary it and give more choice for people buying.
- I sell a2 prints for 20-25 and a3-10. But usually charge more for screen prints and less for digital but it depends on the overall quality.
- I use a lightbox and a pallet stood up right snd hang the prints nicley, presentation is key, also use chipboard to pin stuff up, insence candles and of course some plants.
- I feel its a hit and miss with print fairs because some have been really dead, ones that have been really well advertised and promoted in a busy popular venue your bound to make abit of money! its better"


Josie Partridge - Nippleblockerglory



What kind of things do you produce? is there anything your stall could do with to better its products? - I sell my funky feminist jewellery and badges, made from plaster. Because they are made from plaster they are quite fragile, so I could experiment with different mediums to better my product. How much do you sell your things for? 
- Badges start at £5, nipple tassel earrings are £15 and the leather nipple chokers are £25. 
Do you feel as if people are more drawn towards screen printed things or digital print? 
- I think screen printed items, they have a more hand crafted and textured finish which appears more unique. 
How do you make your stall stand out from the rest and what works best when you display your work? 
- I make sure it’s colourful and looks professional. For example having my brand sign, business cards and props such as a mirror, photographs, more conceptual show pieces on display. I think the more eye grabbing a stall is, the better it works. 
Have you ever made a loss? if you have do you know why? 
- Yes, I spent more on a taxi to and from Leeds market than the sales I made that day. This was because it was totally the wrong venue/event and the wrong people looking around.

Charlotte Evans - Oh Aura 



"I sell handmade earrings but i'm hoping to sell some of my prints for any future ones. I think sometimes more space-the last one was pretty cramped. I should probably make some more signs too! My earring prices depend on the size and whether theyve been painted but range from £5-£8
I add plants, bowls, and boxes to make it stand out and look fun and inviting.
There have been times where I have not made any money and sold nothing but the stalls I have done have always been free (luckily) so i havent really made a loss. The reason I didnt sell at these places were mainly due to the location and the type of people who visited"






No comments:

Post a Comment